Mold works non-stop to keep the planet going by breaking down organic matter — but we still don’t want it in the house, and for awfully good reason. Mold can trigger rashes, headaches, allergies and asthma attacks, according to the Mayo Clinic. Certain types of mold can even cause brain infections and sepsis (blood poisoning).
Whether it’s black, brown, green or pink, experts agree you should get rid of it. “Any visible mold should be removed, no matter what its color or species,” says Tiina Reponen, PhD, professor of environmental health at the University of Cincinnati. “In a healthy building, you don’t have visible mold…”